Sunday, November 25, 2007

Jet-setting solutions

Opinion / Ravi S. Narasimhan

 Jet-setting solutions
By Ravi S. Narasimhan (China Daily)
Updated: 2005-10-17 05:47

First impressions, they say, are the best - and last impressions last.

Let's start with the last and get back to the first.

Beijing International Airport is the first and last place impressions are
made on foreigners, both visiting and resident. I suspect the impressions
are no different to those formed in other major cities across the nation.

You are in a rush to get to the airport, taxi meandering because of what
seems to be traffic increasing by the hour, and you have to fill in a
customs form declaring the value of the items you are taking out of the
country. Not many countries do this - it is usually done on arrival.
Worse still, the officer collecting the form seems uninterested in the
exercise. Unless my form were checked against my passport to see the
details tally, this, surely, serves no purpose.

Immigration is no fun, in most countries in the world. In these dangerous
times, we are resigned to that, but surely flexible staffing arrangements
during busy periods - especially during the holidays when the whole
country seems to be on the move - would help.

Why not introduce downloadable forms for both Immigration and Customs
that you can fill in from the comfort of your home or office? If no one
else is doing it, why not be a trail-blazer?

Anyone who has travelled in economy class on a long flight and likes a
drink will sympathize. You get your first beer - or scotch, my poison -
about 40 minutes after take-off or 20 minutes after the captain has
switched off the seat belt signs. The cart always seems to start from the
far end, wherever you sit. Next thing you know, they are trying to press
dinner on you and frown as if they were in the Temperance movement should
you dare to ask for another drink.

Anyway, I once tried carrying on a miniature bottle and Security promptly
seized it, pointing to a sign saying no booze was allowed. Only a few
metres away, I bought a whole pack in Duty Free and imbibed more than I
should have. So what damage could my original little bottle have done,
especially when duty on it went straight to the State coffers?

The solution to this problem comes with a caveat - you have to think you
are richer than you really are. Faced with the daunting prospect of a
long, tedious journey via another country to my hometown in India, I
bought a business class ticket for the National Day holiday and found it
pays.

Quick check-in, free drinks in the airport lounge, a drink before
takeoff, more drinks of your choice in the air and more.

The ideal solution is of course to fly first class. As a software
company's slogan goes: Imagine it. Done.

To come back to earth - and my down-to-earth profession - journalism.
Some would say we are pedantic, but as I travel around China, I often
have the urge to tell people, or businesses or hotels or restaurants, to
get their names, labels, menus, brochures and billboards right.

Some months ago, I saw a sign in Beijing airport which roughly read:
"Airport under reform, please bear with the inconvenience" (my little
understanding of Chinese tells me that reconstruction or renovation could
mean the same in Chinese) and noticed foreigners walking by sniggering.

I will volunteer, for a fee, of course, to go around the airport changing
the signs so that they make sense to English-speaking foreigners.

Last - and as they say, not least - my biggest bugbear as a jet-lagged
traveller, the seemingly-official signs that proclaim "Beijing
International Airport Taxi Co Ltd" and look inviting, while the taxi
queue is elephantine.

The first time I tried to circumvent the taxi line, it would have cost me
200 yuan (US$25) but should have been no more than about 80 yuan (US$10),
airport expressway toll included. When I reached home, I called up my
colleague Xiao Ma and he brokered a compromise with the cabby - a premium
of 20 yuan or US$2.50 to make up for the difference in perceptions.

Next time was fun. I fell for the same trick, except this time the guy
promised a ride on a meter rate. Tired, and tempted, I accepted. The
bill: 288 yuan (US$36). This time, I was sanguine; and did not feel the
need to call Ma. At the door of my serviced-apartment block, I called up
the front-office assistant, threatened to call the police and the matter
was settled amicably.

Beijing police would surely have no problem getting rid of these touts
who disgrace the city. Let first impressions be the best; and last.

Email: ravichina@gmail.com

(China Daily 10/17/2005 page4)

Hot Talks

� President's List of Do's and Don'ts for China

� How important is 'Face' (Mian Zi) to everyone?

� The Woeful Health of the Nation

� China, USA should be natural allies

� Beijing's leverage over Taiwan

Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours

http://www.hellomandarin.net

No comments: